In this article let’s take a look at everything you need to know about mechanical engineering vs Computer Science Engineering in detail.
If you are confused regarding which engineering branch to choose between the both you do not need to worry about it and I would recommend you to read this article to the end and bookmark it somewhere.
So without further ado let’s get started.
Definition & duties
What is mechanical engineering and its duties?
Basically mechanical engineering is one of the oldest engineering branches which combines principles of maths and physics for design and maintenance of mechanical systems, These engineers specialise in fluid mechanics, automation and control system, renewable energy, automotive design.
What is computer science engineering?
Computer science engineering is a field of engineering which deals with computer science networking algorithms programming languages computers software and hardware.
The main job of a computer engineer is to design test and maintain computer software web applications and algorithms.
Now that you know all the duties and responsibilities of a computer science engineer, let’s move forward.
Difference between the two
Here is a table that explains the difference between the two in detail
|Factors||Mechanical engineering||Computer science engineering|
|Started from||This started in the 18th century due to the industrial revolution in Europe.||It began in 1939 when John Vincent Atanasoff and Clifford Berry started creating the world’s first electronic digital computer|
|Subjects taught and specializations||Material Science and Engineering. Engineering Mechanics. Thermodynamics. Heat Transfer. Robotics, Engineering Management, Nanotechnology Fluid Mechanics. Machine Drawing. Fluid Machinery. Kinematic Analysis and Synthesis. Workshop Practice.||Fundamentals of Computer Programming. Data Structures. Object-Oriented Programming. Design and Analysis of Algorithms. Computer Architecture and Organisation. Database Management Systems.|
|What is the work||The work of mechanical engineers is to research and develop machines and tools and work on physical part of objects||The work and focus of computer engineers is to design and develop computer software and hardware|
|Work environment||The majority of the time mechanical engineers work in factories testing and manufacturing and in the office room in front of computer designing and developing the machines||Majority of the time computer science engineer work in front of computer in office writing code and programming and developing new products and softwares|
|Type of work||They work in creating physical products like machines and tools||They work in creating digital products like softwares and websites|
These are all the important differences you should know between the two.
Similarities between the two
Here are some important similarities between the two professions.
- Both the branches are related to designing, development and maintenance of new products
- Both engineering branches requires a lot of creativity and problem solving skills
- Even the work environment of both are quite similar because both of them work on the computer using different softwares for long hours of time and exchange different ideas with team members
- Both of them get a chance to work in similar sectors and companies because every machine needs some computer software to run automatically
- Both of them have good demand and have good earning potential in the world
- Both of them are equally competitive
- Both of them are constantly changing due to technology advancements
- Both engineering branches are four years long, you have same eligibility criteria which is to have maths physics and chemistry as main subjects in your 12th
- The admission process to get seat in the top colleges is also similar, you should write & clear JEE main exam to get seat in the top engineering colleges like IIT, NIT in India.
- In both of the degrees you will get knowledge about variety of subjects including mathematics, computers and design, etc
Skills required for both professions
Here is a table which lists the important skills you need in both the professions.
|Computer science engineering||Mechanical engineering|
|Problem solving skills||Problem solving skills|
|Creativity skill||Creativity skill|
|Analytical thinking skill||Analytical thinking skill|
|Communication teamwork and interpersonal skills||Communication teamwork and interpersonal skills|
|Good programming skills||Design and detail oriented skill|
|Basics of machine learning||Maths & computer skills like geometry trigonometry calculus and statistics and using various computer softwares for design and development|
|Strong Data Structures and Algorithms skills||Project management and evaluation skills|
|Basics of web development||Ability to work under pressure|
|Being open minded and learn new things quickly||Good negotiation skills|
|Effective Time management skills||Effective Time management skills|
these are all the important skills you need to have in order to get in to both the profession and become successful in it.
Why you should choose either one?
Why you should choose mechanical engineering?
Here are some important reasons why you should choose mechanical engineering as your career option.
- It is an evergreen industry because machines are not going anywhere and the demand of mechanical engineers is continued to grow and the artificial intelligence cannot completely replace this engineering branch in the coming future
- Mechanical engineers are used in Almost any industry which requires the use of machines and you can work in both National and multinational companies
- As a mechanical engineer you can get a chance to work in public sector undertaking companies like BDL, and midhani, etc after completing your engineering through GATE exam and get a government job
- Using this degree you can also start your own business and startup because this degree will help you develop skills like problem solving and creativity which are the core essence of starting any business apart from getting the knowledge of mechanical engineering
- Using this degree you can get a lot of knowledge in wide variety of subjects including physics mathematics thermodynamics and computers, etc
You can learn more about the pros and cons of Mechanical Engineering in detail here.
Why you should choose computer science engineering?
Let’s take a look at some important reasons why you should choose computer science engineering as your career option.
- This is most highly paying engineering branch at present
- As a computer science engineer you can work in many multinational companies like Google Facebook and Amazon, etc
- Computer science engineers have high demand and also has a good future because every business requires computers and softwares to run efficiently
- Because this is job deals with designing and development of softwares so it’s not completely replaced by artificial intelligence and cannot be automated completely
- It is also a very broad field and you can get a job in various sectors including cyber security data science machine learning and web development
- You can also start your own tech business by creating any software as a service product using your knowledge of programming, sell and make money
- In this job you can work from anywhere in the world all you need is a computer and internet connection so you do not have to move to office for work which can give you a lot of work flexibility
You can learn more about the pros and cons of computer Science Engineering in detail here.
Job opportunities in the two
Job opportunities in mechanical engineering
Now let’s take a look at what are the job opportunities and which companies hire mechanical engineers and what is the average salary and growth of jobs in this branch.
Now let’s take a look at what are the job opportunities in mechanical engineering are,
- Nuclear engineer
- Maintenance engineer
- Cad technician
- Automotive engineer
- Aerospace engineer
As a mechanical engineer you can work in different sectors and industries like,
- Automobile sector
- Aerospace industry
- Defence sector
- Materials and metals industry
- Railway coach factories
- Chemical manufacturing plants
- Research and development field
- Oil exploration sector
And when it comes to earning potential and salary,
According to bls the average salary of mechanical engineers is 90000 dollars per annum which is 43 dollars per hour and according to pay scale the average salary of a mechanical engineer in India is 3.5 lacs per annum and there is 7% job growth for mechanical engineer between 2020-2030 in America.
And there are many company which hire mechanical engineer like, Ashok Leyland, general motors, Mahindra and Mahindra, Tata motors, Ford motor company, etc.
Apart from private companies you can also get a job in government funded companies and in PSU sectors like BHEL, HPCL, DRDO, BDL, IOCL, NHPC, coal India, and many more companies which you can get a job through the GATE exam.
You can also find thousands of jobs to apply on platforms like naukri.com with mechanical engineering degree.
Job opportunities in Computer Science Engineering
There are different types of job opportunities you can get after computer science engineering like,
- Web development
- Software engineer
- Data scientist
- Application developer
- Game designer and game developer
- Machine learning expert
- Full stack developer
- Information system manager
- Computer programmer
- Ethical hacker
- System database administrator
- Blockchain Developer/Engineer
- Computer Network Architect
As a computer science engineer you can get a chance to work in various sectors like finance, defence, health, education or government, banking, agriculture, cyber security, large software companies, etc.
And when it comes to earning potential and salary and the growth in jobs,
As per BLS, Employment in computer and information technology occupations is projected to grow 13 percent from 2020 to 2030, faster than the average for all occupations. These occupations are projected to add about 667,600 new jobs.
The median annual wage for computer and information technology occupations was $91,250 in May 2020.
Because of this many job opportunities in computer Science, Engineering like Java developer, software engineering, data scientist, information security engineer, frontend designer, etc is listed among the top 25 best jobs in America according to Glassdoor.
According to Glassdoor the average salary of a computer science engineers in India is around 40000 rupees per month.
And there are many companies that hire computer science engineers like Infosys, Google Microsoft, TCS, Amazon, Tech Mahindra, HP, Samsung, Facebook, Twitter, IBM Qualcomm, and many other product-based and service-based technology companies both National and international ones.
And if you have taken your under graduation in computer Science branch from top engineering institutions like IIT then you can also get a chance to work in foreign countries offices of companies like
Google, Microsoft & Facebook with the highest package you can expect and you can also get to work in government-owned PSU companies like ISRO, DRDO, BDL, BHEL, and get a job in many public sector company banks, etc
You can also find thousands of open jobs on platforms like naukri.com for computer science engineer and many specialisations like Java developer and web developers & you can apply and start earning money.
Mechanical engineering vs computer Science Engineering: which is best?
After reading all of this if you are still confused then I would choose computer science engineering to be better than mechanical engineering for a couple of reasons like,
- Computer science engineers make more money and they have more demand compared to mechanical engineers
- The demand of computer science engineer is more compared to mechanical because every business needs computers and software to run for example if you are a Java developer you can find more than 20000 open jobs to apply on naukri.com here
- Computer science engineering is considered to be the best job in America at present considering both the salary, satisfaction and demand
- As a computer science engineer you do not need to move to office, you can work from home as well which gives you a lot of flexibility and free time to spend with your family
- Computer science engineers can also start a technology based startup using their programming skills by creating any SAAS product and software
- You can also work and earn good amount of money as a freelancer in computer Science Engineering
- You can also learn many important skills in computer Science Engineering like coding without investing large sums of money in college but in cheaper prices by taking courses on online platforms like udemy
Now it totally depends upon you regarding what are your interests and skills and if you are interested in computer and programming related stuff and Technology then you can choose computer science engineering and you can choose mechanical engineering if you like to work with machines and get a job in government sector.
I have no hate towards mechanical engineering students and those who want to do Mechanical Engineering it is just my opinion and when we compare both purely based on Statistics and data.
Mechanical engineering is also good in its own aspects if you don’t compare it with other engineering branch like computer science.
If you are interested in computer Science Engineering then I would recommend you to read my articles below for further knowledge and information.
- What is the difference between computer science and information technology Engineering
- BTech CSE vs BSC CS
- Is coding and programming a good career and worth it?
- Why web development is a good career?
- Why Java development is a good career?
- Why majority of the engineers in India are unemployed?
With that said let’s end the article.
These are all the things you need to know between mechanical engineering and computer science engineering in detail.
Do comment down which is your favourite engineering branch in the comment section below.
Share the post with your friends and subscribe to my blog to receive notifications regarding whenever I publish a new post in future.
Hey I am Praneeth Kumar, i am a 20 years old blogger, i am doing BA arts degree from a reputable college, i have alot of passion and interest in educating others on various career options and universities available and This exact information is what I share on this Website.